Thursday 27 October 2011

Cheshire Cat Zoetrope Insert

These are photos of my the finished insert of the Cheshire Cat.
I made it by drawing the separate body part of the cat [head, body and tail] then photocopying 15 times.
I then cut out the individual parts [all 45 parts...] and began sticking them on the rectangles of paper that represented one frame on the Zoetrope.
I used little bits of card to raise the pieces slightly so that shadows will occur and highlight the cut-out aspect which I adore. I held the piece up to a light so that I could see through and therefore place the parts on the next frame in the correct place.

I then stuck the individual pieces together to create one lone strip. It was alot easier to do in small segments and Ive tried to make sure that as a long strip insert, it looks clean and professional.  

Overall I really like how it came out, and havent had the chance to test it yet, but it should look great!
Using the little bits of card to raise the head and body will make it slightly 3d and look more like a paper-puppet thing, like they use in Shadow Plays.

Im very pleased. It looks much cleaner and professional than the Llama animation, and the actual illustration is more refined and appealing.

 After testing out the insert in the Zoetrope, It looked quite good but was a little unclear to see because of the way I connected the frames, so that it bunched up in some areas. Also the lighting wasn't quite right so the big areas of white in the animation blended a bit much with the black lines making it hard to see.
However, it did actually work and his head definitely spun around. I decided to scan in individual frames and put them together into a GIF animation to see them at a better quality.
I think its really cool overall, and works well. The slight flickering adds a lovely vintage feel to it which makes the cat look more eerie and magical. 

Making the zoetropes and practice digital ones has really pushed my animation skills that I hadn't really developed much before. I feel animation could be more intune with my personal and professional work in the future and is something to look into further and keep working with. 

No comments:

Post a Comment