Tuesday 1 November 2011

1950's style illustrations

I was thinking about making my instructional diagram to look as if it were from an old fashioned toy, from the 1950's [or there about]. I love the advertising at the time and think it would be a great style to work with and make the finished illustrations looks lovely and vintage, to suit the look of my Tin-Man toy.
Here are a few examples to get me thinking...



All these images were sourced from google and so the creators aren't always know, regardless I really love how they all look and they have a really nice vintage style that I want to capture in my illustration. 
Key things to recreate in my piece, is the use of almost dull colours. The illustration in that period all display rather de-saturated tones that create a rather subdued pallete. I really love this dull and often weird colours, like the turqoise blues and the washed out reds. They looks really recognizable of illustration in that peroid, and getting these colours right in my work is vital in giving that vintage style.
These posters would have probably been screen printed for mass distribution and so you get the slght imperfections and the style that happens with the screen printing process. Somethings the colours and lines dont always match up, and often only a few colours are used. This is also something to think about, I dont plan on using screenprinting for this project as it involves a great deal of work, but there are ways I can give off a screenprint style, which will help. 

No comments:

Post a Comment