Friday 4 November 2011

Tom Whalen



Whilst browsing for 1950/60's influences I came across the work of Tom Whalen who creates lots of really cool movie posters for old and new films, but makes then looks vintage.
I absolutely love them! He always uses a restricted palette of the kinds of colours seen in old illustrations that just scream vintage.
The style of the artwork is great, with the exaggerated features and proportions of the characters. The illustrations are clean and capture the characters nicely.


I love the modern style font he uses with them, it creates a really nice contrast and fits with the artwork. He uses only a few colours and is masterful with them. The wolfman one for example only has 3 colours but looks great!

The pieces seem to be created in Illustrator due to the clean lines and vector feel. I want to maintain some handmade quality in my illustrations to echo the screen printing feel and although I do love these posters, they do feel a little too modern because of the cleanliness.




No comments:

Post a Comment